Back in June, we went on a school field trip to the zoo with my sons' pre-school class. That's so weird to say because school is now back in session in most cities but bear with me! I've been working away to launch for a good amount of time now.
Anyway, during our visit we hung out with a few friends and their kiddos which was SO fun! One of my friends oldest little girl was so excited to see the flamingos and that's all she could talk about as we followed the map looking at all the beautiful animals, and it was so sweet. Equally as sweet was her excitement when we finally did reach them and I think she rubbed off her excitement on everyone in the group including myself.
When I got home and was thinking about a cute, fun, and easy DIY I could do with my son what pops in my head? Of course! The FLAMINGOS!!! They're beautiful, fun, scream summer and it was just perfect! So I went and gathered all of the things I needed to make it happen and the best part is that I scanned the initial illustration after drawing it out which will be available to download below so you guys can enjoy them (and not worry about drawing them) with your kiddos as well, Yay for fun summer / year round DIY's!
MESSY LEVEL: 1
If you decide to color your flamingo in with color crayons or markers it isn't too messy. The gluing of the straws and feathers are a few steps to consider when choosing where to create your printable.
- Flamingo printable [Download HERE]
- Straws for the legs
- Color crayons / colored pencils / markers
1. Color in your flamingo printable using whichever medium you're comfortable with. We used acrylic paint on watercolor paper.
2. Next, cut your straws (legs) so that they fit into the space provided for them and glue them to the paper. I also cut a rectangle into the back of straw #2 (this will be labeled on your printable), so that it could easily lay over the top of straw #1.
2. Then glue your feathers over the flamingos body as desired.
3. Feel free to draw extra details on the flamingo and more details into the background besides the water and palm trees if you want to and you're DONE! Easy right? We had fun making ours and we were able to give it to the little girl behind the inspiration for her birthday as part of her gift, so triple win for us!
I'm always looking to make fun and easy projects with my kiddos using what we have in our home so I didn't have to go buy anything for this one. I hope that's the case for you as well, I also love that this doubles as fun wall decor that you and your child can be proud of every time you look at it.